Happy New Year! Looking back on a year of extraordinary impact
09/01/2018 9:02:32 AM
Happy New Year!
From your entire team at Women’s College Hospital Foundation, thank you
to our entire donor community for your incredible support in 2017.
As we look ahead to another year of exciting achievements for the health of women in 2018, we are also reflecting on the extraordinary advancements our donor community helped make possible over the past year.
Take a look at the impact you helped create in 2017:
- You helped people with arthritis fight back against heart disease through the opening of Canada’s first-ever cardio-rheumatology clinic. Patients with previously undiagnosed or untreated risk factors can now stop heart disease before it even starts.
- You gave hope to the 1 in 7 women who suffer from post-partum depression (PPD) with the Canadian launch of the PPD ACT mobile-based study. Led by a WCH scientist, the study aims to better understand the genetics behind PPD, leading to better prevention and treatment options.
- You’re giving all Canadian women access to the best cancer care by scaling up the groundbreaking research, care and education emerging from WCH through the Canadian Cancer Society’s national network, thanks to the launch of the Peter Gilgan Centre for Women’s Cancers – established through a joint leadership gift of $12 million from philanthropist Peter Gilgan and the Canadian Cancer Society.
- You’re stopping cancer in its tracks by giving Canadians access to affordable testing for the cancer-causing BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic mutations through The Screen Project, the first study of its kind in the world.
- You’re building a better healthcare system for the 1 in 5 Canadians who live with chronic pain. Through the Toronto Academic Pain Medicine Institute (TAPMI), which opened in early 2017 and is housed at WCH, you’re providing better access to specialized care so those who live with chronic pain can live their best lives.
Over the past year, members of our donor community also came together in a big way at a variety of events in support of WCH. These included:
- Tour de Bleu 2017, an annual cycling event hosted by Mattamy Homes and the Peter Gilgan Foundation, raised an incredible $3.66 million to transform care for women’s cancers.
- Women for Women’s, WCH Foundation’s annual signature fundraising luncheon, welcomed nearly 1,000 guests and raised $530,000 for the greatest priority needs of Women’s College Hospital.
Together, we are closing crucial gaps in healthcare for women and their loved ones and building a better, stronger health system for everyone.
As Women’s College Hospital continues to deepen its role as a national and international leader in advancing health equity and health system solutions in 2018, your ongoing support is more crucial than ever before.
We are so grateful to have you by our side on this journey. Thank you again and we look forward to updating you on the impact you are creating as another exciting year gets underway!